10/20/10

Like Mother, Daughter

Apples don’t fall far from their trees.



I am the daughter of a single mother and the single mother of two daughters. My mother wanted no boys and I wanted no boys. Don’t get mad, boys are wonderful, but I feel I am a girl mom. If I had had a boy, I’da loved him, but…..well, I didn’t, so it worked out. Actually, I’ve been thinking about it lately and with the right hubs, I might have wanted a boy. Perhaps my feminine intuition suspected I wasn’t destined to be a wife, and knew girls would be easier for a single mom.


Dot always said, if I had been a boy she would’ve left me at the hospital. She also would have named me “Jerry Wayne”. I would be a good ol’ redneck boy, I reckon, probably would have wanted to be a cotton farmer like Unca Honey. Of course, I wouldn’t call him that, it’d be Uncle Bill, cos that’s manlier and stuff.


My daughters look a lot like me, I think, I can see it in old photographs. I never thought I favored my mother, but I do, after all.


“The Look” comes from her:




Sometimes it’s attitude:




Sometimes it’s less than ladylike:




Once we were 3rd graders

No comments:

Post a Comment