3/17/10

What a Difference 3492 Days Make

Stardate 12/18/1982
Captain's Log
This is my wedding day. My first wedding. The man in the picture is not my hubby, but with out him, the pic will look very odd, so he gets to stay.
Age: 22
Location: Lafayette La
Like any other 22 year old, I was sure I knew alot about life. My occupation was answering service operator. I had known my new husband 3 months prior to marrying him. My mother protested my marriage, but showed up, she could not very well harrumph about and let everyone know how much she disapproved without being there in person. I was given in marriage by my good friend Dawson.
I was exactly 2 years younger than X1. His birthday is the day before mine. We are both only children. There was a huge geographical gulf between our back grounds. He was what we Southerners like to call a "Yankee", even though he had lived in the west (Colorado and Arizona) from a very young age.
He ate butter on his sandwiches instead of mayo. When I said "Do you want some tea?" he automatically assumed I meant a cup of hot tea. He applied butter to pastries that were already frosted, Folks, I 'bout freaked out.
Po-Tay-Toe, Po-Tah-Toe.....To-May-Toe, To-Mah-Toe...or in my case, Taters and Maters.


Stardate 7/10/1992
Captain's Log
This is my wedding day. My second wedding.
Age: 31
Location: Hernando MS
I have a 8 year old daughter. I have known my new husband 4 years and 10 months. My occupation is sleazy motel front desk clerk, the motel is sleazy, not me. Well, to be fair, it was only semi sleazy...anyway.... My mother protested my marriage, but showed up, she could not very well harrumph about and let everyone know how much she disapproved without being there in person. I was given in marriage by my dear cousin, Dood Cuz.
I was 9 years older than X2. While I was an only child of a woman who didn't like children, he was the baby boy brother, very beloved by his parents and big sisters. The 9 year age difference wasn't a big problem, for the two of us, anyway, because I was a bit kiddish for my age and he was a bit reserved for his age, so it sort of evened out.
He knows when I ask "Do you want some tea?" I am talking about a cold glass of sweet tea straight from the fridge. No ice, ice only waters it down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Funny that regional differences make a bigger difference than an age difference. Still, each hubby had their own endearing traits and aggravating tendencies. What if you could custom build your mate? I'd take some things from X1 and some things from X2.
If it was possible to custom order a husband in this click and choose world, my spouse would look like 1968 James Garner. Be handy, able to fix cars and anything else he turned his screwdriver to. He'd be funny and put anyone who crossed me in their place, quickly. But, I still wouldn't be satisfied, cos you need conflict and diversity to make life interesting. I think it's the striving for a thing, getting it, changing your mind, chasing another clue.....all these things keep us going. It's our nature to chase an elusive dream. A body must have something to strive for. If you're not going forward, you're stagnating. Keep on keepin' on. Live long and prosper. Be excellent to each other, and...............Party On, Dude!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment